How To Prevent Pest Infestations In The Winter?
Winter pests are starting to look for a warm place to live during the cooler months. If you thought you were done with pest control now that we’re well into fall, some of these bugs are going to be very happy. Just like you, bugs want to be warm for the winter.
How to Protect Your Home From Pests In The Winter
You can help get rid of pests by taking several steps, including eliminating their habitat:
- Make sure you don’t have standing water outside. Remove empty flower pots and other items that hold water.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to make sure water flows out. Cleaning the gutters will also prevent ice dams from building up during the winter.
- Clean leaves and debris up from the yard, especially if it’s against the house.
- If you burn wood, make sure you store firewood at least 20 feet from the house.
- Keep trash cans away from the house. They’ll be warmer than outside, so bugs will get into them during the cold months.
- Trim trees that are hanging over the house or that are very close to the house.
- Swap regular outside lights for sodium vapor lights or yellow lights. They are less likely to attract bugs
How Do Pests Get In My Home?
Once you learn how to keep bugs out of your home, it becomes second nature to prepare your home every winter. The main thing is to seal any cracks in blocks and cracks around the doors and windows and seal up holes where pipes come into your house, especially if you have a crawlspace.
Make sure any vents you have for the crawlspace in the roof have screens in them. Bugs will drop from trees onto the roof and crawl into the roof vents. They’ll also crawl into the house from the crawlspace.
Get Help From Your Local Professionals
Contact RichPro Management to help you winterize your home against pests. Once you take care of all the ways bugs get in and remove plants and debris from the side of your house, our exterminators in Glen Allen will come out and eliminate pests and spray to keep them away.