How To Prevent Rodent Infestations
During the winter, mice and other rodents want a place to stay out of the inclement weather, too. Your home is the perfect place for them. They find a warm, dark corner to nest in, and they have plenty of food and water. It is imperative that you seal your home against winter rodents, or you’ll be fighting them constantly.
How Do Rodents Get In My Home
Part of rodent prevention and mice prevention is preventing them from getting into your home. Rodents do not need a large hole to get into your home. A mouse can fit through a hole that is smaller than a quarter. Mice come in via cracks in the foundation or holes they chew in the walls.
How To Prevent Rodents From Getting In My Home
There are some proactive measures you can take to prevent rodents from getting easy access to getting into your home. To keep them out, take the following steps:
- Inspect outside - Look for cracks in the basement or crawlspace walls or skirting. Fill the cracks or block them with steel wool and insulating spray foam sealant.
- Block holes - Block any holes where pipes and wires go through the walls. You can also use a combination of steel wool and insulating spray foam sealant to block these holes.
- Store items away from the house - Move piles of firewood, rocks, stone, and other debris at least 20 feet away from the house.
- Landscape - Cut back shrubs and bushes that are against your home. In fact, it is better to relocate them. Not only do mice and other rodents use them to access your home, but they are superhighways for termites and other bugs.
- Inspect inside - Look for holes under sinks, in closets, dark corners behind furniture, and in the attic. Repair all of the holes you find.
- Check pipes- Check in crawlspaces and under sinks for leaking. Repair the leaks.
- Use ultrasonic rodent repeller - This is designed to emit sound waves that people can’t hear but rodents can.
Get Help From The Professionals
The best way to get rid of rodents and other pests is to let a professional handle things. At RichPro Pest Management, we can address your mice or rat problem quickly and efficiently. Contact us today to protect your home with our rodent control.